Health Systems Strengthening
Below is a list of selected articles that informed the development of the NGO Code of Conduct for Health Systems Strengthening. Some are available via the Web links provided while others can be found in common medical and public health journals.
- Pfeiffer J, Johnson W, Fort M, et al. “Strengthening health systems in poor countries: a Code of Conduct for nongovernmental organizations,” American Journal of Public Health; 2008; Volume 98, Number 12: pgs. 2134-2140.
- World Health Organization Secretariat. The Global Fund’s Strategic Approach to Health System Strengthening: Background Notes 3 and 4 for July 30 – 31 2007 Consultation; 2007. (Download PDF #1, PDF #2.)
- Ooms G, Van Damme W, Temmerman M. “Medicines without doctors: why the Global Fund must fund salaries of health workers to expand AIDS treatment,” Public Library of Science Medicine (PLoS Med). April 2007; Volume 4, Number 4: pg. e128.
- Institute of Medicine. PEPFAR Implementation: Progress and Promise. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press; 2007.
- Farmer P. “From “Marvelous Momentum” to Health Care for All. Success is possible with the right programs,” Foreign Affairs. July/August 2006; pgs. 155-59.
- McCoy D, Chopra M, Loewenson R, et al. “Expanding access to antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa: avoiding the pitfalls and dangers, capitalizing on the opportunities,” American Journal of Public Health. January 2005; Volume 95, Number 1: pgs.18-22.
- Travis P, Bennett S, Haines A, et al. “Overcoming health-systems constraints to achieve the Millennium Development Goals,” The Lancet. September 4-10, 2004; Volume 364, Number 9437: pgs. 900-06.
- Loewenson R, McCoy D. “Access to antiretroviral treatment in Africa,” British Medical Journal. January 31, 2004; Volume 328, Number 7434: pgs. 241-42.
- Buve A, Kalibala S, McIntyre J. “Stronger health systems for more effective HIV/AIDS prevention and care,” International Journal of Health Planning and Management. October-December 2003; Volume 18, Supplement 1: pgs. S41-51.
- Turshen M. Privatizing Health Services in Africa. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press; 1999.
- Pavignani E. “Module 12: Formulating strategies for the recovery of a disrupted health sector,” in Analysing Disrupted Health Sectors: a Toolkit; Module 12: World Health Organization. (Web site.)